[wined3d] Status update: Converting Wined3d to use WGL instead of GLX

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 12:08:15 CST 2006

On 1/14/06, Aric Cyr <Aric.Cyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > How about creating a temponary fork of the whole tree, so we can submit all
> > our patches there without breaking wine. There's no need for this tree to
> > work for any game at first, so broken patches are no problem. Once our
> > patches coexist nicely, we can introduce them to main cvs.
> > (The danger is, of course, that the differences take overhand and the forking
> > can't be undone any more)
> >
> > What do you think about this?
>
> It's a lot of extra work for nothing really.  There should be minimal conflicts
> with my patches and whatever you guys are working on.  The only exception would
> be if you added or changes glX code.  Even in the case of a conflict, it should
> be a trivial merge since wgl and glX are so similar.
>
> I'm willing to do the merge myself if you expect the ddraw and d3d8 code to be
> submitted soon, otherwise I'll just submit my wgl stuff and leave it up to you
> and Olvier to merge your patches.
>
> Anyways, I'm still bug hunting so I won't be submitting very soon.  So hurry up
> with ddraw and d3d8! ;)
>
> Regards,
>   Aric

I'm certainly in favor of having a temporary git fork for directx
changes.  So I can just pull the patch from there anytime instead of
waiting for periodic test patches.  The periodic patches haven't
always applied cleanly either.  These improvements are big changes and
it would be nice if doing this would speed it up, since everyone could
now work together.