dlls/wined3d/device.c GetCreationParameters

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Jan 17 04:47:10 CST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:16:42AM +0100, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Aric Cyr <Aric.Cyr at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Ya, I thought about that after I sent my previous mail as well...  an assert
> > would probably be more useful for checking "This".  I also disagree that "This"
> > is guaranteed to always be non-NULL.  There really is no way you can force
> > policy how a user calls the function, so minimally checking (or aborting) on
> > NULL is a sane thing to do.  It doesn't hurt the code, and catches potential
> > usage problems.
>
> Not checking at all and crashing works just as well to catch problems,
> and doesn't hurt performance. There's no reason to add NULL checks
> unless there is a Windows app that depends on it.

Exactly!
"Stupid" NULL pointer checks even actively hurt debugging since in severe
cases you may have a function "properly" (*cough*) failing due to a NULL
pointer check, but then "unfortunately" you notice the effect of this
"properly checked" anomaly "only" 3 layers and 5000 relay log lines later
when something almost entirely unrelated really breaks with a SEGV.
Have fun wasting the time to trace back those 3 layers to the real offender...

Andreas Mohr

--
No programming skills!? Why not help translate many Linux applications!
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta