GIT rebase changes

Mike McCormack mike at
Tue Jan 17 10:31:51 CST 2006

Hi GIT users,

The GIT guys have made rebase and pull incompatible, and to use rebase
(which is likely what we want to do for Wine), you must use "fetch" then
"rebase", not "pull" (which does a merge).

The error message that you get if you use "pull" then try to "rebase"
with newer version of GIT is pretty useless:

bash-3.00$ git-rebase origin
Current branch refs/heads/master is up to date.

So use "git-fetch" to update origin, then "git-rebase origin" after that
to get the new changes.  I've update the Wiki with that information -
don't shoot the messenger :/