Wine on SuSE 10 and German Umlauts

Marcus Meissner meissner at suse.de
Thu Jan 19 03:32:43 CST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:06:39AM +0100, Roland Kaser wrote:
> Thanks
>
> No, makes no diffrence. It seems that the problem is based on a SuSE
> specific configuration or library version. Can somebody tell me how wine
> gets the keyboard events, or whats happen in wine when users presses keys?
> I might help to debug this issue. I tried 0.9.5 on Fedora 4 and it worked
> there. I had a similar problem with X as I ran a Yast software update and
> only a downgrade to a previous version of X could fix the problem. No the
> german umlauts in X works properly and I cannot downgrade in case of a very
> special graphics card with vendor specific drivers.

It reads raw X events, and translates them multiple times between
different representations (X keycodes, scancodes, windows virtkeys).

You could run with:

WINEDEBUG=+key,+keyboard wine program.exe

and see if there is any useful debugging info (check what happens
when you type an umlaut).

Ciao, Marcus