TurboCash minimal test apps. BDE test works now!

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jan 19 11:28:45 CST 2006

The nice folks at TurboCash have been trying to run TurboCash
with Wine for a long time off and on.  As of last year, they complained
that Borland BDE didn't work with stock wine
(see e.g. http://www.turbocashuk.com/Forums/index.php?s=203b0c6d3e3d67cd58fb7389167e7107&act=ST&f=7&t=58
 )
They even went to the trouble of producing four little
test apps, two for GUI stuff, and one each for BDE and MySQL.
I tried the BDE one, and it seems to work now!
Here's how to try them.  I haven't worked out how to
install mysql yet, perhaps somebody else could complete this script...

Thanks,
Dan

# Point to your copy of wine
WINEDIR=$HOME/cs130/
WINE=$WINEDIR/wine
REGSVR32=$WINEDIR/programs/regsvr32/regsvr32
#WINE=wine
#REGSVR32=regsvr32

# Start with a fresh fake Windows directory
rm -rf ~/.wine

# Install Borland's BDE
# (See http://compkarori.com/dbase/bu09inno.htm )
wget -c http://www.jrsoftware.org/download.php/bdeinst.cab
cabextract bdeinst.cab
$REGSVR32 BdeInst.dll

# Try TurboCash's minimal Wine test cases; see
# http://www.turbocashuk.com/Forums/index.php?s=203b0c6d3e3d67cd58fb7389167e7107&act=ST&f=7&t=58
wget -c http://www.turbocash.nl/download/Controlstest.zip
unzip Controlstest.zip

# Test BDE (interactive app; works for me)
$WINE Controlstest/SimleBDE.exe

# Test MySQL (interactive app; doesn't even load,
# it needs mysql40.dll or something like that,
# and I haven't tried to install that yet)
$WINE Controlstest/ZSimple.exe

# There are two other test programs for gui controls;
# they seem to run, but I haven't verified they behave
# identically under wine and windows