Golden apps?

James Trotter james.trotter at
Sun Jan 22 06:26:53 CST 2006

On 1/22/06, Jesse Allen <the3dfxdude at> wrote:
> On 1/21/06, Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:
> > I'm trying to get a list of 'gold' apps from the appdb,
> > but it doesn't have a way to search like that,
> > so I filed
> >
> > In the meantime, what apps work *really well* with Wine
> > at the moment?  Firefox 1.5 seems to be in good shape.
> > I'm looking for apps that will demo well for my talk at SCALE in two
> weeks.

Perhaps the top-10 Gold List on the front page of the appdb might help:

If you looking for games, I maintain the AppDB entries for Diablo 2
> and Warcraft 3.  I've finally rated both gold now that all the
> critical features of the games work with the current wine releases.
> And they run stable with only a few steps.  They look great.
> Although the movies don't play right in Warcraft 3, as there are
> crashing bugs with quartz, so I've done all that I have done all
> along: removed the movies folder.  Then the game doesn't even use
> quartz.  I don't consider this a critical issue since this
> recommendation is given to windows users too when the game movies
> don't work for them.  I'll have to try to debug it when I have a day
> off of school.

In my experience (Breezy Badger 5.10, wine 0.9.5), the movies in Warcraft 3
actually played through without crashing, though it was unbearably slow.

Other games seem to be having similar problems when it comes to playing
videos. For example, Half-life 2:

What is it, really, that causes the movies to play so slowly?

Diablo 2 does still run in D3D mode if you hack the gamma function to