[Fwd: WineTools is in need of some major house cleaning!]

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 21:08:01 CST 2006

Joachim von Thadden wrote:

I understand the goal of WineTools and I can see both sides of this issue but
for for some of us it really is frustrating because it makes our jobs harder.

> The purpose of WineTools is not to "undermine" and also it is, was and
> will never meant to be a "pure replacement of windows". And this is
> nowhere stated.
> To come to an end with this discussion I would suggest the following:
> - adding a list wine-winetools for WineTools users

This would be nice but who is supposed to host the mailing list. It could be
just a news group though.

> - adding a warning in the software and on the WineTools site that the
>   usage of the software leads to undebuggable situations for
>   developers, so no help from there can be expected

This would be good

> - changing the text in the download section according (there is already
>   a note stating to use pure wine first)

This new note is confusing still (I will submit a better patch)

> - smoothly migrating the WineTools to pure Wine with as less as
>   possible tweaking

There should be a way to do this. Making this list more prominant and updating
it when wine tools is not required would help.

Tony Lambregts