DINPUT: Enforce single mouse acquire

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Wed Jan 25 17:19:30 CST 2006

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 17:55 -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
>

>> The problem is that if (This == NULL), then This->hook cannot be
>> evaluated (for CallNextHookEx) without generating a segmentation fault.
>> This is the very situation the patch is trying to prevent.
>>

> Sorry for not spotting it earlier. 'This' can't be NULL, that's an
> impossible situation. You need to debug it and find out why hook
> proc is being called without This->hook being set.

I already did. The scenario is as follows:
1) Start Fate/Stay Night (current_lock starts as NULL)
2) Mouse gets acquired (current_lock becomes valid), and mouse function
gets hooked
3) User selects About dialog.
3) About dialog attempts a second (nested) mouse acquire, which (before
my patch) succeeds because there is no check on whether current_lock is
already set. Again, current_lock is assigned (overwriting the previous
value), and the mouse function gets hooked (again). Notice that the
mouse function is now hooked twice.
4) User dismisses the About dialog. Second acquire is released. The
current_lock pointer gets set to NULL, and the second instance of the
mouse function gets unhooked, but the first instance (the one hooked at
program startup) remains hooked, now with current_lock == NULL.
5) Mouse event happens. Function hook gets called, and tries to use the
NULL pointer. Instant segmentation fault.

The easiest way out of this (the one the patch implements) is to
disallow nested acquires. It is a little more complicated if DirectInput
actually requires support for nested acquires (why? I have only one
mouse...)

Alex Villacís Lasso