gethostbyname call with 0 length arg

Phil Goss pagoss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 07:46:14 CST 2006

Hi,

Is it a bug in the WINE gethostbyname (WS_gethostbyname) implementation,
where if the arg name is of string length 0, then it returns unsuccessful.

I have experience this issue with a Windows program (Onkyo Nettune) where
the hostname passed to gethostbyname is of length 0. (This seems to be a
bug in the program itself). However, the program works okay in native
Windows.

There seems to be a check in the gethostbyname for a NULL arg name  ...
if(!name) ... But no check for  ... if(!strlen(name)) ....

I have tested the strlen check and it seems to work and satisfies the
Windows program.

Does the above make sense, as I am not a programmer?
Not sure if this s bug in wine even though it implementation should be
matching Windows native.

Thanks,
Phil