sudo vs su in wineinstall

Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea) speeddymon at
Sun Jan 29 21:33:33 CST 2006

Hi guys, bug 4439 describes a problem where a machine (running ubuntu)
does not install wine when using wineinstall due to the fact that su dos
not work..

Just a couple of questions:

Is this the case (su not working) on all Ubuntu machines, or just
something broken on that users' machine?

If it is the case on all Ubuntu machines, the user has mentioned that
sudo does work.  sudo does require configuration prior to being used,
but we could always add into the wineinstall script to configure sudo
for the user, or we could ask the user to configure it themself, OR we
could fall back to using su if the user answers no to having used
sudo..  see below:

Warning: the wineinstall script installs wine using the sudo command.
Have you ever used sudo on this machine before?
if (yes)
  continue as normal
  # either of these could work
  # option 1
  Would you like to have us try to configure sudo for you?
  # option 2
  User has not used or configured sudo, falling back to su
  WARNING: su may be broken on your machine, and therefore wine may be
built but not installed.  If you are unable to run wine after this
script completes, please login as root, and do 'make install' then login
as your user again.

Of course we could always just add a configure check to see if su works,
and if it doesnt, die with a warning about wineinstall not working
because of that.

What do you think guys?