sudo vs su in wineinstall

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:58:47 CST 2006

On 1/29/06, Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea)
<speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys, bug 4439 describes a problem where a machine (running ubuntu)
> does not install wine when using wineinstall due to the fact that su dos
> not work..
>
> Just a couple of questions:
>
> Is this the case (su not working) on all Ubuntu machines, or just
> something broken on that users' machine?

I believe it's a distro-specific design choice (for security) of
Ubuntu, and maybe even Debian.

> If it is the case on all Ubuntu machines, the user has mentioned that
> sudo does work.  sudo does require configuration prior to being used,
> but we could always add into the wineinstall script to configure sudo
> for the user, or we could ask the user to configure it themself, OR we
> could fall back to using su if the user answers no to having used
> sudo..  see below:

If the user is not in the /etc/sudoers configuration file, it just
complains you're not in the configuration and asks for the root
password.

> What do you think guys?

I think we should see if su exists/works and use it if it does, else use sudo.

--
James Hawkins