sudo vs su in wineinstall

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:42:08 CST 2006

On 1/30/06, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the user is not in the /etc/sudoers configuration file, it just
> complains you're not in the configuration and asks for the root
> password.

/etc/sudoers is not usually world-readable. The way to do it would be
with `sudo -l`, but this requires the user's password, and we'd have
to parse any fine-grained security options.

Is there another way of checking to see if su(do) works?

I still think a good way would be to have the script run as root and
execute a child process as a non-root user for compiling and stuff.
The problem is working out what user to run as.

Alternatively, we could just split wineinstall into winecompile and wineinstall.

n0dalus.