linux/capi.h: present but cannot be compiled

Joshua Crawford mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 31 05:57:52 CST 2006

(I'm not on the devel list, so please Cc: replies either to me or the users
list.)

After recently upgrading my distro (from Slackware 10.1 to Slackware 10.2
with Freerock GNOME), configure (current CVS) now reports

configure: WARNING: linux/capi.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: linux/capi.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: linux/capi.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: linux/capi.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: linux/capi.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: linux/capi.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to wine-devel at winehq.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##

It seems linux/capi.h requires linux/compiler.h (for __user). I tried simply
putting linux/compiler.h above linux/capi.h in the AC_CHECK_HEADERS list,
but that did't work, so I'll have to leave the fix to someone who actually
knows something about autoconf.

This is the relevant section from config.log:

configure:7159: checking linux/capi.h usability
configure:7171: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
In file included from conftest.c:76:
/usr/include/linux/capi.h:80: error: variable or field `__user' declared void
/usr/include/linux/capi.h:80: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/linux/capi.h:115: error: syntax error before "capi_manufacturer_cmd"
/usr/include/linux/capi.h:117: error: syntax error before '}' token
configure:7177: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "Wine"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "wine"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.9.6"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "Wine 0.9.6"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "wine-devel at winehq.org"
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;
| #endif
| #define YYTEXT_POINTER 1
| #define HAVE_GETHOSTBYNAME 1
| #define HAVE_CONNECT 1
| #define HAVE_INET_ATON 1
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_ALSA_ASOUNDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_ARPA_INET_H 1
| #define HAVE_ARPA_NAMESER_H 1
| #define HAVE_ASM_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_CUPS_CUPS_H 1
| #define HAVE_CURSES_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define HAVE_ELF_H 1
| #define HAVE_FLOAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_GETOPT_H 1
| #define HAVE_GIF_LIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_JPEGLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_LBER_H 1
| #define HAVE_LCMS_H 1
| #define HAVE_LDAP_H 1
| #define HAVE_LINK_H 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <stdio.h>
| #if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
| # include <sys/types.h>
| #endif
| #if HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
| # include <sys/stat.h>
| #endif
| #if STDC_HEADERS
| # include <stdlib.h>
| # include <stddef.h>
| #else
| # if HAVE_STDLIB_H
| #  include <stdlib.h>
| # endif
| #endif
| #if HAVE_STRING_H
| # if !STDC_HEADERS && HAVE_MEMORY_H
| #  include <memory.h>
| # endif
| # include <string.h>
| #endif
| #if HAVE_STRINGS_H
| # include <strings.h>
| #endif
| #if HAVE_INTTYPES_H
| # include <inttypes.h>
| #else
| # if HAVE_STDINT_H
| #  include <stdint.h>
| # endif
| #endif
| #if HAVE_UNISTD_H
| # include <unistd.h>
| #endif
| #include <linux/capi.h>
configure:7199: result: no
configure:7203: checking linux/capi.h presence
configure:7213: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:7219: $? = 0
configure:7239: result: yes
configure:7252: WARNING: linux/capi.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure:7254: WARNING: linux/capi.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure:7256: WARNING: linux/capi.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure:7258: WARNING: linux/capi.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure:7260: WARNING: linux/capi.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure:7262: WARNING: linux/capi.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure:7274: checking for linux/capi.h
configure:7281: result: yes
--
Joshua 'bruce' Crawford ... http://www.geocities.com/mortarn