dx9 and shaders

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Tue Jan 31 14:48:33 CST 2006

> Is there a TODO or similar documentation on D3D8 & 9 for Wine? I don't
> necessarily have much background in DirectX. Last time I used it was
> when DirectX 3.0 was brand spanking new and was all the rave. I'm
> willing to work, but don't know where to start and am limited on time
> available to search for it. If someone has already begun some
> organization of this, like a hit-list or something, that would be quite
> helpful.

There's no todo list right now. Right now the best approach would be to finish
the d3d8 to wined3d move so that both d3d8 and d3d9 share the same core. Then
remaining bugs should be fixed so that more games work. After that
performance tweaks should be added and more features like shaders.

> Also, does anybody know what the status is compared to WineX/Cedega? Do
> they have a more fully featured shader implementation? What's there
> status/policy on porting back to Wine?

A long time ago WineX/Cedega separated from Wine. In the beginning when Wine
was X11 licensed they sometimes ported stuff back to Wine but these days they
don't do that anymore. Wine's implementation of Direct3D is quite good but
compared to cedega performance isn't optimal and our shader support is very
basic but modern games like Halflife2 and others work.

Roderick