Semantics, shaders, and fixups

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 07:27:50 CDT 2006

On 03/07/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg231 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's not particularly important.
Well, it breaks color fixups :-)
Something that has texcoord semantics doesn't necessarily have to
contain texture coordinates, but it should contain something that has
the same semantics.

> > But perhaps if you take
> > the data type into account when making up the semantic it might still
> > work.
> Why would I do that - just adds extra complexity that's not necessary,
> and doesn't really make sense - you can't tell if a FLOAT3 means normal
> or POSITION, or something else the app just made up and the shader knows
> how to interpret.
Well, no, but you can probably tell that something that has a color
datatype should have color semantics. But if we do fixups based on the
datatype it's not all that relevant anymore, of course.