Strange behavior in debugging of bug #5245, looking for comments

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Mon Jul 3 16:12:59 CDT 2006

Last weekend, I was trying to trace down bug #5245 (Run-Time error '6'
overflow in terragen). With current CVS, the bug manifests itself with
an "Overflow" dialog when starting up Terragen. However, this bug does
*not* go away with a native oleaut32.dll (taken from win98), so this
does not seem like an OLE bug. When running the program with the
debugger, the underlying exception trapped before displaying the dialog
reads "inexact float result", with a backtrace that comes out of the
bowels of msvbvm60.dll (weird - NOT inside Terragen.exe, and NOT inside
Terragen.dll). However, if the user types "pass" at the debugger prompt,
the dialog box does not appear, and the program continues "normally".
The exception occurs again whenever a File Open dialog is dismissed, and
again, typing "pass" lets the program run normally.

Several questions:
- Can programs that execute floating-point instructions get the "inexact
float result" exception without any explicit setup, or do they have to
call some API in order to enable this notification? If so, is it
described in MSDN?
- Is the described behavior normal for the "pass" command? I was
expecting the command to make the app show the Overflow dialog and then
exit.

Alex Villacís Lasso