Strange behavior in debugging of bug #5245, looking for comments

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Mon Jul 3 16:55:22 CDT 2006

Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:

> Last weekend, I was trying to trace down bug #5245 (Run-Time error '6'
> overflow in terragen). With current CVS, the bug manifests itself with
> an "Overflow" dialog when starting up Terragen. However, this bug does
> *not* go away with a native oleaut32.dll (taken from win98), so this
> does not seem like an OLE bug. When running the program with the
> debugger, the underlying exception trapped before displaying the
> dialog reads "inexact float result", with a backtrace that comes out
> of the bowels of msvbvm60.dll (weird - NOT inside Terragen.exe, and
> NOT inside Terragen.dll). However, if the user types "pass" at the
> debugger prompt, the dialog box does not appear, and the program
> continues "normally". The exception occurs again whenever a File Open
> dialog is dismissed, and again, typing "pass" lets the program run
> normally.
>
> Several questions:
> - Can programs that execute floating-point instructions get the
> "inexact float result" exception without any explicit setup, or do
> they have to call some API in order to enable this notification? If
> so, is it described in MSDN?

I believe it is an exception code raised by VB itself, not the result of
a floating point operation. I've seen it before and it usually means
that something unexpected happened under the covers in the VB runtime.
However, I would have expected it to be a bug inside oleaut32, but that
appears not to be the case here. Have you tried running with native
ole32 and rpcrt4 as well to see if the bug disappears?

> - Is the described behavior normal for the "pass" command? I was
> expecting the command to make the app show the Overflow dialog and
> then exit.

I don't think so. It should have the same behaviour as when running.

--
Rob Shearman