wine's fullscreen code has no effect on metacity

Elijah Newren newren at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 12:13:04 CDT 2006

On 7/4/06, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com> wrote:
> running metacity:
>
> meh at wicket:~$ xprop | grep _NET_WM_STATE
> _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
>
> running kwin:
>
> meh at wicket:~$ xprop | grep _NET_WM_STATE
> _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
>

> Not that I understood how this was supposed to work to begin with, but
> this really doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah, that looks really odd.  That alone almost certainly means
there's either a bug in KWin, metacity, or the EWMH.  Could you try
something for me to see if we can narrow down the cause?  There's a
special keybinding in Gnome, disabled by default, for manually setting
windows to fullscreen mode.  Could you run
gnome-keybinding-properties, find the "Toggle fullscreen mode" item in
the list, click on it, press some special key combo (e.g. Alt-F11),
then focus your window in question, and press that key combo?  That
should make the window fullscreen and place it on top.  If you could
check the xprop thing again at that point just to verify the
_NET_WM_STATE, that would also help.

After we know that, we can try seeing if you're setting the state in a
weird way that KWin accepts but other WMs don't, or are setting it in
a valid but slightly different way that Metacity should accept but
doesn't, or if Metacity is doing something else weird.

Cheers,
Elijah