wine's fullscreen code has no effect on metacity

Elijah Newren newren at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 15:07:15 CDT 2006

On 7/4/06, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've enabled that key combination, and I can now make gedit fullscreen
> with alt+f11 so I think that's working properly (this is nifty; wonder
> how I missed it..).
>
> Pressing alt+f11 when windows firefox thinks it's in fullscreen mode
> has no effect. xprop shows no _NET_WM_STATE.

What does "windows firefox thinks it's in fullscreen mode" mean?  Does
the application try to manually resize itself in addition to sending
the state change messages to the root window (perhaps as a workaround
for WMs not supporting the _NET_WM_STATE stuff)?  Or is there some
other notification that the window is attempting to be in fullscreen
mode?

How are you making firefox try to enter fullscreen mode?  (F11?)

> However, it does work (sort of) if I press it when firefox is not in
> fullscreen mode, except that I can see part of the bottom panel (but
> can't interact with it; I assume it's really firefox's window there
> but firefox hasn't drawn anything). xprop does show
> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN when I do that.

You see part of the bottom panel, but not the whole thing and you
can't interact with any of it?  Sounds like an application bug where
Metacity has resized and placed the window on top but the app just
hasn't updated from expose events.  You could verify by e.g. running
  sleep 5; xprop | less
in a terminal, switching to firefox during the sleep and putting it in
fullscreen mode, then after the sleep clicking in the area where you
see part of the bottom panel.  xprop lists all kinds of crap, but the
WM_CLASS or WM_NAME (both near the end) are usually pretty good ways
to verify which application you clicked on.

Anyway, it appears that the window does actually get placed into
fullscreen mode given your comments, which means that we should look
closer at the actual setting of the hint from wine.  Could you point
to the relevant code?

Alternatively, I can point you to the source code in metacity.  The
Alt-f11 keybinding I had you set up is handled in
  metacity/src/keybindings.c:handle_toggle_fullscreen().
Messages from apps to add/remove/toggle these state properties are handled in
  metacity/src/window.c:meta_window_client_message()
you'll want to search for "fullscreen" within that function as many
other states are handled in that function as well.

One other pointer that may assist you in debugging; you can use the command
  xprop -root | grep ^_NET_CLIENT_LIST_STACKING
together with commands like
  xprop -id 0x22eb54c | grep WM_CLASS
(substituting appropriate window ids from the first command) in order
to figure out how your WM has stacked the windows.