widl/parser.y: Correct use of free()?

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Jul 10 15:52:37 CDT 2006

On Saturday 08 July 2006 12:28, Andrew Talbot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to constify some of the "name" strings in this file. But I am
> running into problems caused by what seems to be an unusual use of the
> free() function. To my novice eye, it appears that, in functions such as
> get_type(), the author is trying to free strings that were not given space
> via malloc().
>
> Is free() being used correctly in this file? Can I remove these calls to
> free()?

I didn't look at the code in question, so what follows is just an
off-the-top-of-my-head suggestion. Could those strings be implicitly
allocated by yacc? You may want to look at yacc documentation -- I assume
that the .y file is processed by yacc to generate a .c source. You may also
look at the resultant C source to see what allocates those strings.

Cheers, Kuba