0.9.17 and other issues

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Tue Jul 11 11:27:58 CDT 2006

Roland Kaeser wrote:

> But to see the changes in 0.9.17 makes me really angry.

Please do not get upset.

>  Is everybody developing for the gamers?

No. Unpaid Developer are developing what is on there Interests.

> Currently I have many bugzilla bugs open to be fixed to get business
> applications running. And I can see while testing my 10 application
> with every release that nothing had changed on the business apps.

As an Example for Printing, Wine uses cups to detect Printers and lpr to
send the Data to the printer, but the Printing-Framework is in most
Places at the Level of "Win3.1".

> All of them are the same unstable, or installable or some bugs else
> (see printing issues etc).

I'm working on Printing in my Free Time, but to fix the Issues in the
correct way, many "low level" - Things are needed first.
(Printing ToDo-List:  http://wiki.winehq.org/Printing )

As an Example for the new-Style Printing-Dialog (bug #4342), we can
create a fast hack and Reuse the old-Style Printing-Dialog.
Fix the Bug in the correct way need Patches for "comdlg32" and
"shell32.dll" and an almost full Implementation of "compstui.dll"
(I already added an empty stub) and "printui.dll" (still missing).

Since the Documentation is really rare for this Area, a lot of Tests
are Required to understand and verify, what windows is doing here.

Everybody is welcome to help!

> we are all waiting for wine becomes stable enough to get the business
> apps running to switch to linux completely.
> But all I can see is that all the bugs are already there from release
> to release!

You can hire a Developer to fix the Issues.

> But on every release I read some things about DirectX, Gaming Support
> etc.

Many People are Interested only in Games.

> Whould it not be better just to fix the existing bugs before
> developping new ones?

That's what the DirectX-People do: Fixing the bugs in wine, that
are related to Display-Errors.

> Nobody wants run games.

There is a Company in Canada, which has only a single Product (based on
an old wine-Version), that allow the paying Customers to play
Windows-Games on Linux.

> So my question again: WHATS THE FOCUS OF THE WINE DEVELOPMENT????

Run Windows-Applications on Unix.

--
By By ...
      ... Detlef