"assumed" graphic card memory

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Thu Jul 13 11:00:46 CDT 2006

Vijay Kiran Kamuju schrieb:
> May be using we can use the internals of lspci and pciutils.
> So that we can calculate the VGA memory on the fly.
>
> On 7/13/06, Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'd say it needs a framebuffer device which I do not have
>>
>> Use the PCI variant ;-).
>>
>> > Also, the PCI path varies a lot
>>
>> Obviously.  The correct PCI path would need to be found first.
>>
>> (I used "lspci|grep VGA", hehe.)
>>
>> > None of this works at all on non-Linux systems, for that matter.
>> > (Wine does run on non-Linux systems, in case you didn't realize that.)
>>
>> Default to 64MB on those systems.
>>
>> > This reports the wrong values for me in
>> > one machine with a 32M video card:
>> > 134217728
>>
>> Ok.  Guess it's rubbish then, too bad.
>> Oh well.
>>
>> > It might be possible to guesstimate the available memory:
>> > http://delphi3d.net/articles/viewarticle.php?article=texman.htm
quoting from the article:
---
The implementation of the glAreTexturesResident() function, which is
so critical for this technique, has not been properly standardized.
[...]
This makes the technique described in this article pretty much
useless - unless you want to put "NVidia 3D cards only" in your app's
system requirements.
---

>> Promising!
>>
>> But perhaps an easier approach would be to fix every Linux driver
>> to report the correct number in sysfs.  I'm pretty sure each driver
>> knows how much RAM is on the card already, so it should be trivial..
Isn't the amount of _free_ vram what wine really is interested in?
The information how much RAM the card has is pretty much useless.

And the sysfs approach won't work when using X over ssh or similiar.