DirectDraw Issues continue

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Jul 14 12:28:34 CDT 2006

Hi,

> Some info below:
> > > I'll provide logs and things if asked.
> >
> > A +ddraw,+d3d7 log would be useful
>
> export WINE_DEBUG=+ddraw,+d3d7    ???? (the way this debug flag thing
> works is completely baffling to me)
WINEDEBUG=+ddraw,+d3d7

> > >  * Pharaoh - used to work back in 0.9.15 and still does in cvs
> > > 2006-07-02
> >
> > Sounds like it broke with the ddraw rewrite, was fixed later and broke
> > again. Can you do a regression test from 07-2 to today?
>
> Sounds like it, I'll do a test on my machine with the latest CVS and
> file a bug report or I'll email you if it works.
>
> > >  * C&C Generals - Fails to run
> >
> > Copy protection? Otherwise it has GPU detection problems
>
> Looks like GPU issues, I'll try it again.
The issue is that Generals uses the pci id of the graphics card to find out
which capatiblities it has. This is completely broken behavior because there
are capatiblity flags in Direct3D which the game could read with
IDirect3D9::GetCaps. Henri reported that Generals is broken in windows too
when you have a shiny new nvidia card because nvidia changed the number
scheme and Generals thinks it is running on a really ancient card and
disables vital rendering.

> > >  * Imperialism II - Graphical tiles issue (DDRAW)
> >
> > Do you have a screenshot?
>
> It seems impossible to get screenshots, the game doesn't allow me to
you can try a virtual desktop: wine explorer.exe /desktop=name foo.exe
or use ksnapshot or gimp or whatever and tell it to make a screenshot after
waiting some time.

> > >  * Settlers IV - Fails to run
> >
> > It would be useful to find out which DirectX version they use(ddraw, d3d8
> > or d3d9)? A +ddraw,+d3d8,+d3d9 log can reveal that, just see which
> > channel spits out most messages. Likely copy protection makes problems
> > with a lot of games.
>
> I tried this again with the latest version, I got problems with
> setting the screen to higher resolutions, it didn't like playing any
> of the campaigns (but I think that might have been the install because
> it was asking for the cd) and it then segfaults when I tried to do
> anything other than play the tutorial.
Can you file a bug report with the crash output and a +ddraw log? (Well, when
the winehq servers are up again. Ah, I just see they are back)

If you file a bug report, it is likely to happen that you won't hear much for
quite some time. This isn't because we don't care about bug reports, but
rather that we have a huge number of bug reports. Even with the bugs I know I
could keep myself busy for months if not years. If you assign the bugs to
directx->ddraw or directx->d3d8/9 I will find them again at latest when I've
run out of open bugs and search for new work :-)

> > Keep in mind that the wine manpower is limited. We are only 5 people
> > doint the major directx development, Henry, Ivan, Jason and Roderick are
> > working in their free time, and I'm working for CodeWeavers, hence my
> > priority to get some represenative games working properly. Vitaly, Jesse
> > and others are giving us vital help too, like helping with bug reports
> > and testing, and I'm very glad about their support. Writing angry rant
> > mails to the list or ranting on irc won't get you anything, except eating
> > the developers time with writing angry replies back.

> Yes I understand, you never know you could have 6 if I could get my
> head around the source code and development platform.
>
> My apologies again, I was not myself and the disappointment of a
> fellow linux user can be disheartening.
Yeah I understand. Similar things got me started with hacking on the wine code
more than 2 years ago. I wanted Empire Earth to run, fixed 2 bugs in the old
ddraw code. Then I hit the more fundamental problem of multithreading support
which also affected d3d8 and d3d9 apps, so I decided to rewrite ddraw over
wined3d and fix the threading problems there. That was almost a year ago when
I started the ddraw rewrite by adding '#include "wine/wined3d_interface.h" '
in the ddraw code and got approx. 300 errors back :-\

Ironically Empire Earth still doesn't run, but now the more basic work is done
and I can start with implementing multithreading support for Direct3D. But
I'm afraid that this won't be enought and this game also needs proper render
target locking support and a gdi engine...

So appoligies accepted :-)

Stefan