winnt32.exe on AMD64

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Mon Jul 17 18:14:44 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 03:16, Ge van Geldorp wrote:
> the biggest problem is that the 64-bit calling conventions are
> different between PE executables and Linux executables. Some more info on
> the Wine64 wiki page http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64

This isn't necessarily a huge problem - even if GCC can't support it, there's
no reason we could not generate assembly language thunks for each entry
point - the information required to do this is already in the spec files. The
different size of "long" is not a big issue since all of the entry points and
structure members should be declared using Win32/64 typedefs anyway.

Even if GCC is modified to support the Win64 calling convention, it's not
going to be available universally for some time so we'd probably have to
generate thunks to support systems where the Win64 capable version is not
available (plus I think Alexandre still wants compiler-neutrality as far as
is possible).

Troy Rollo - wine at troy.rollo.name