winnt32.exe on AMD64

Boaz Harrosh boaz at electrozaur.com
Tue Jul 18 05:13:24 CDT 2006

Ge van Geldorp wrote:
>> From: "Nadgir, Ananth P" <ananth.p.nadgir at intel.com>
>>
>> Does Wine now support executing x64 bit PE executable like
>> winnt32.exe under amd64 directory?
>>

> No, the biggest problem is that the 64-bit calling conventions are different
> between PE executables and Linux executables. Some more info on the Wine64
> wiki page http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
>
> Ge van Geldorp.

Which brings me to an Idea I had a long time ago.
  Why not compile the all of Wine as PE with a GCC cross-compiler
(MinGW), But for the 3 low level DLL's. In effect a ReactOS system and
Makefiles (On a Linux kernel). Sure we will maybe want an alternate
system for Builtin/Native, maybe different system folders for  builtin
dlls and executables vs. native. This will surely solve the Above
problem. It will also make a clear cut of what are Wine DLLS that are
the same for Wine/ReactOS and what are System dlls that are
System/Kernel dependent. It will avoid the problems with export
functions and so on ...

Has any one (ReactOS?) tried such a system on Linux? What is the minimum
dll set that must be compiled ELF?
Does MinGW (gcc for PE) has support for Win64?

(And a philosophical Question: The "Sameness" of 32 bit calling
convention (and virtual tables) between PE and lets call it GCC, was
that a freak of nature? or is it just that Unix people got there first
this time and MS people must be cocky? Or was it the Unix People who got
cocky this time? ;-)

Free Life
Boaz