winnt32.exe on AMD64

Ge van Geldorp ge at gse.nl
Tue Jul 18 11:43:02 CDT 2006

> From: Boaz Harrosh
>
>   Why not compile the all of Wine as PE with a GCC
> cross-compiler (MinGW), But for the 3 low level DLL's. In
> effect a ReactOS system and Makefiles (On a Linux kernel).
> Sure we will maybe want an alternate system for
> Builtin/Native, maybe different system folders for  builtin
> dlls and executables vs. native. This will surely solve the
> Above problem.

I hate to be so negative but at the moment this will not work. The reason is
simple, there's no 64-bit MinGW (yet?).

> Has any one (ReactOS?) tried such a system on Linux?

ReactOS could be cross-compiled, using MinGW, on Linux a few months ago. I
assume that's still possible.

> (And a philosophical Question: The "Sameness" of 32 bit
> calling convention (and virtual tables) between PE and lets
> call it GCC, was that a freak of nature? or is it just that
> Unix people got there first this time and MS people must be
> cocky? Or was it the Unix People who got cocky this time? ;-)

I was wondering about that too. I have no idea about the timeline, who was
first. It's conceivable that both parties worked on it at around the same
time.

G? van Geldorp.