Test Framework for WIDL [1/2]

Dan Hipschman dsh at linux.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 19 16:20:30 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:09:45PM -0700, Dan Hipschman wrote:

> This sets up a regression testing framework for WIDL (it could be used
> in other places, too).  You'll need the next patch to actually do "make
> test" in tools/widl/tests, but this patch contains the test script and
> list of test cases.  The test cases contain all the header files used by
> Wine that are generated from IDL files.  Note that the TLB files are
> commented out for now since they contain a timestamp and hence can't be
> directly compared with known good copies.  It's still better to at least
> have a test for the headers and work on getting a test for the TLB files
> soon.

I wanted to clarify something.  Please note that this test framework is
only comparing the current output of widl with the future output of widl.
It's not comparing any Windows files, and it's possible that the output of
widl could change in the future and still be correct.  My main motivation
here is that the current IDL files used by Wine only use a small set of
features, so having a tests like this allows us to more confidently add
new features to widl and be sure we aren't breaking anything on which Wine
depends.