Drive mapping of Z:

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 11:00:44 CDT 2006

Christoph Frick wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > But in PRACTICE, it would help a lot to hinder total system
> > destruction once viruses start running correctly on Wine.
> > (Especially for users like me, who always runs Wine as the root user
> > ;-).)
>
> you complain about security in wine and run it as root? even if i have
> the strongest doubts, that there is need for running wine as root

Hehe.

It won't work as non-root, and I could waste days finding out
whatever's wrong with my X configuration (which is the default as it
comes with Gentoo, btw).

I have a *lot* of much more productive ways that I can spend that time ;-).

> at least do a chroot or use systraceorwhattheyarenamednowadays.

Hmm.  Thanks for the tip.

> it makes hardly sense to suggest security measures for wine while
> running it as root - this is like suggesting, that vi should no longer be
> able to modify files, because started as root your could modify every
> file on the system.

Granted, wine is as fucked as everything else when running as 'root',
so it would seem like the wrong place to fix things.

OTOH, if sandboxing the rest of your Linux system from Windows bugs
introduced through Wine is as easy as disabling drive Z: (and for the
most part, it is!), then we should certainly make sure that it can be
done and can be done easily.

Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> I guess Wine needs a patch to make it stop working as uid 0

And the point of fucking with people like this would be...
The sheer fun of fucking with people that you don't happen to agree with? :-)