Drive mapping of Z:

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Jul 24 11:48:18 CDT 2006

> > That's plain wrong. I guess Wine needs a patch to make it stop working
> > as uid 0 ...
>
> Some interesting "security features" could be:
[. . .]

Which all leads to nothing, as any windows application can test for and then
invoke linux (or freebsd, or whatever) syscalls directly without wine ever
knowing.

I.e. if you have a rogue windows application, wine won't help you. It's just
as if you had a rogue native application. Any notion that it's otherwise has
no basis in fact. Running something under wine is the same as running a
native application, from the security viewpoint.

If you ordinarily sandbox untrusted 3rd party native applications, I'm sure
you'd do the same for wine. If, OTOH, you run random 3rd party native code as
root, then running wine as same won't matter much.

Cheers, Kuba