wcmd: strip quotes around executable and retry on error

Thomas Kho tkho at ucla.edu
Mon Jul 24 15:48:13 CDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Thomas Kho wrote:
> [...]
> > A fake notepad.exe is currently created in c:\windows\system32. I
> > don't think there's duplication of CreateProcess because CreateProcess
> > considers the filename of the executable to be the first quoted term
> > in the commandline. In contrast, cmd.exe also considers the first
> > space-separated word of that quoted string as the filename of the
> > executable when the entire quoted term is not an executable.
>
> CreateProcess does that too:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/createprocess.asp

It doesn't follow the ambiguous file name searching for CreateProcess.
I just re-read the cmd.exe help output and realized that it spells out
the logic for quotes when /c is specified. My patch was overarching in
also affecting commands entered at the command prompt; it should only
affect the command line passed in as an argument with the /c flag.

Tommy