Drive mapping of Z:

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 04:00:14 CDT 2006

Dimi Paun wrote:
> Fixing your X installation would do you a lot more good.

Not sure how much it would help though - I'm secretly also slightly
hateful towards the concept of configuring and switching between two
user accounts just to do daily work.  It seems such a conceptually
broken solution (beside from being a waste of my time).

> What distro do you run?

Gentoo.

Joseph Garvin wrote:
> Gentoo is a great distribution but you are not its target audience.
> Go install Ubuntu or SuSE.

Point taken.
I like KDE better than Gnome, so Ubuntu is a bad fit.
And the 5.04 installation CD completely hung my workstation when I tried it.
SuSE could be a better fit.  Then again, I compile sources often
enough and I really do find that aspect of Gentoo convenient.

Ok, enough about my ridiculous setup already :)..

Kuba Ober wrote:
> Besides, it may be something as simple as not having your windowing
> environment properly set up, as opposed to there being anything wrong
> with X server itself. Likely the window manager and the environment
> from xfce, kde or gnome doesn't start up.

Just tried.  You're absolutely right.  A few months ago, X wouldn't
even start as non-root, but I've since upgraded to X.org 7 and KDE
3.5, and today it starts.  The only problem seems to be that non-root
boots into twm + xclock + xterm instead of KDE..  Nice crystal balling
:-).

> Let me know off-list if you want to get it fixed.

I have no issue with giving you SSH access, but I'd hate to be wasting
your time more than I am already.
You're obviously much more knowledgeable than I am, I bet you could do
seriously cool things with the time you'd be wasting on me.

(Point taken about the list noise, btw.  I'm trying to be polite and
answer people's questions, and at the same time not expand the subject
since I know we're deeply off-topic by now.  I do feel bad about that,
but there's no way right now to both answer questions and keep things
on-topic.  A "move this conversation to chit-chat room" feature for
mailing lists would be nice...)

n0dalus wrote:
> I mean, is there a way for wine to stop applications it runs from
> making those syscalls while still being able to make them itself?

Hook the interrupt perhaps?...
Granular security through SELinux maybe?...