Winebrowser: Let the browser decide how to handle a given url

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jul 27 04:54:59 CDT 2006

On 7/27/06, Stefan Siebert <stefan.siebert at web.de> wrote:
> This is an enhancement for winebrowser. Currently http urls are only
> accepted if they are prefixed (http://). Although the browser should
> know how to handle a given url best. The patch passes every given url to
> the browser (if it is not a mailto: url).
> So programs like the Notes Client may use winebrowser and the user is
> not forced to type the http:// prefix.

While your patch points out a bug in wine, and makes Notes work better,
the description's slightly off.
I think a bare hostname by itself isn't a URL; to be a URL,
you need a protocol prefix.
So a better description might be "assume any address given
by the user is a web page unless a protocol prefix is present
which indicates that the address is something else".