Audio stuttering issue

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Jul 29 11:01:14 CDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:05:12 -0700, Chris wrote:
> It does. You don't really have to change anything.

I thought the user would have to change the limit in their startup scripts
or the like? That isn't going to work, we need it to be fully automatic
with no configuration changes needed.

> RLIMIT_RTPRIO value for the user. I just think it'd be nice to let users of
> that patch know they don't need to run Wine with root privs if they don't
> want.

Sure, we should add it to the wiki page or something ...

> I personally don't see what's wrong with letting the user decide.
> Without setting the suid root bit, Wine won't get any more privileges
> than any other Linux app run by the same user would get.

Well, using the suid-root bit seems more secure than this ... the limit
allows any application to gain realtime privs easily whereas having wine
acquire CAP_SYS_NICE means only Windows apps can get it (or rather it's
very hard for other apps to use Wine to get it).

thanks -mike