Simple installer regression testing

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jul 30 00:10:34 CDT 2006

It would be nice to have a simple way to verify that
wine can still install apps properly.  Ideally this
test should run on either Windows or Wine unchanged,
and should verify the checksum of all installed files.
So I whipped up a demo of how to do this for winzip 10:
  http://kegel.com/wine/test-winzip100.tgz
The archive contains a shell script winzip100.sh
that downloads winzip, verifies its checksum, installs
it, and verifies the checksum of all the files it should have installed.
It's wine-specific, but just barely; with very little
change it should work on cygwin, too.

It requires you to install autoit first.  Autoit is a popular windows
scripting tool which is even somewhat open source,
see http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8389,
and in any case is free to use.

Anyway, this is just a proof of concept.  I'd like to expand this to
handle a largish number of apps as time goes on.  In particular,
I'd like something like this to be in place and easy for anybody to
run themselves before we do a 1.0 release.

If you're wondering why I'm not using cxtest for this, it's because
a) that only supports wine, not windows, and
b) cxtest seems a bit harder to set up than this.

Comments welcome...
- Dan