[AppDB] Resend: Change 'vendor' to 'developer'

Chris Morgan cmorgan at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Jul 30 11:49:03 CDT 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 7:45 am, Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes wrote:
> The patch is the same; I would just like to point out that this change has
> been discusses, and there were no objections to it.
>
> Change 'vendor' to 'developer'.  Variable names are not changed, so this
> patch should not cause any trouble.
>
> Lørdag 29 juli 2006 15:49, skrev killertux killertux:
> > -I and Tony Lambergs decided half year ago that "Vendor" ==
> > "Developper"
> >
> > -adding Distributor and Publisher will make things harder and it's
> > useless since appdb is for testing info therefore we are interested
> > about developper.
> >
> > -anyway Vendor can be also [Freeware], [Open Source Software],
> > [Shareware]
> > but I am not so happy reading licence agreements.
> >
> > -I think we should rename "Vendor" to "Developper"

I'd prefer we switched 'Vendor' to "Company".  Company is simplier and in more
common usage and its likely that people will look at the box, see a company
name and be able to match it to this field.  They won't have any idea about
publisher, vendor, distributor or developer, they'll just pick the biggest
name other than the name of the program and likely go with that.

Also, if everyone wants to make this change and is serious about it then we
should also rename the database columns and fix up the sql as well to keep
these names in sync, otherwise people maintaining the appdb code will somehow
have to know that each instance of 'vendor' is really something else
like 'x'.

Chris