[FreeBSD] locating wine at 0x20000000

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Mon Jul 31 07:58:58 CDT 2006

Hello all,

For the past week or so I've been getting to know Wine and trying to
improve/fix the FreeBSD version. I've progressed somewhat since then,
though there are still quite a few open issues.

One of the problems on FreeBSD is that Wine is loaded at 0x7bf00000.
FreeBSD's mmap preserves some space for the data segment (about 512Mb
by default) and every future call to mmap with NULL for the addr
argument maps memory after that. This is the reason that win98 mode
doesn't work, since the shared heap at 0x80000000 isn't available and
everything that gets dlopen'ed for instance is located beyond the 2G
limit which some programs may not like.

So I was thinking of moving Wine to 0x20000000. That would be the
easiest solution by far, but, are there any potential problems with
that?