wine problems on a 64bit system

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.de
Thu Jun 1 08:19:56 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 02:59:30PM +0200, Pavel Troller wrote:

> root at co:/proc/28433# cat maps |grep 6d4
> 6d420000-6d421000 r--p 00000000 09:00 20202255                           /home/tv/il2sturmovikfb/bin/hotspot/jvm.dll

i run this game (il2+fb+ace+pf) on a opteron system quite well. i found
the folling things helpfull - it might shed some more light on the whole
thing:

a) i have to run this game using win2k (or up - guess nt4 might also
   work) - it wont work using win98

b) when i configure EnableHardwareShaders=1 (?) in the conf.ini then the
   game crashes sooner or later (depending on the Water=XXX setting (3
   is sooner, 2 is later)) with OutOfMemory exceptions in java. the game
   takes up to 3 gb ram virtual and a few 100mb resistant acording to
   "top". the box has 2gb real but i am not sure if i put 1gb or 2gb
   swap on - so it might actually really use "all my ram". i found it
   also quite amusing, that 3gb where used - where i guessed windows can
   only do 2gb per process without further handling (urban legend?).
   once i disable the hardware shaders the water looks dull within the
   game but serves my hours of fun without a problem

--
cu