How are we doing?

EA Durbin ead1234 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 2 07:27:18 CDT 2006

>There is precious little "Why" in the comments of a lot of projects - Why
>does this function exist, why would I call it, why does it return what it
>does, etc.
>
>BS comments like those within the function don't help, obviously - but
>sometimes a comment block describing WHY a given chunk of code does what it
>does would be nice.

Exactly my point.

As in the case of wine, you must try to figure out what a block of code
does, then that block of code calls existing wine functions that you've
never seen before in your life. So then you have to trace that back to find
out what the already implemented function does, and look through the code to
it, because there is no documentation for it either, then it calls another
function, so go ahead and trace back through the code for it too to find out
what it does.  Kind of like why i switched to gentoo, I didn't like the rpm
dependency hell  of fedora, and this is eerily similar. As a new developer,
one is not familiar with all of the functions being used in wine, a block of
comment explaining what a function does would be nice, instead of having to
trace back through various parts of wine code, just to find out what one
function is doing.