How are we doing?

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 13:38:07 CDT 2006

--- EA Durbin <ead1234 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> If I use K & R style, or not enough white space,
> or don't align things perfectly at work my boss will kindly print off a
> copy of the companies acceptable coding standards policy and bring it
> over.

Ah, so it's the lack of a defined style guideline that's the problem?
That got me too back in the beginning.

The Official Wine Code Style is something like this:

1. New file:  whatever the author wants
2. Existing file: whatever others did

This takes some getting used to, and since 2. isn't strictly enforced, we
sometimes end up with colliding styles.  Only one time that I remember did
we manage to sneak in a bunch of formatting changes (into shell32, which
was a real mess of conflicting styles.)

I guess that could be documented better, though a quick google turns up
statements to that effect:
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/wine/wn20010305_85.html#4
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2004-July/028483.html

It's also in the developer guide, though a bit buried:
http://winehq.org/site/docs/winedev-guide/style-notes
The fact that I couldn't find the darn thing quickly is a problem ;)

--Juan