ntdll: a simple implementation of cross-process NtAllocateVirtualMemory

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Fri Jun 2 23:29:06 CDT 2006

Friday, June 2, 2006, 9:33:30 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> > You need to have a thread waiting one way or another, since you need
>> > to perform operations on the client side that require a thread
>> > context. No, it's not an easy problem to solve, that's why it has not
>> > been done yet...
>>
>> Are you willing to accept a patch which makes some common use
>> cases work well, but does not address others?

> Oh, heck, I guess we can keep thinking about it even if you do insist
> on a full-on solution.

> How 'bout we also implement remote thread creation, and create
> a temporary service thread to service a remote memory allocation request?
> That would give the thread context you say is required.
> - Dan

That would be wonderful actually. It seems that some new stile copy-protection
technics include use of injected threads. Also that would help properly
implementing braking any process for debugging.

So the real use of this would be to support all sorts of debuggers - they all
use all these functions on other processes.

Vitaliy