How are we doing?

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Jun 3 12:50:55 CDT 2006

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:03:46 -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
> And I think I would agree that the Wine server is commented
> about right; it is, imho, a beautiful piece of code.

+1 to that. I reckon I didn't really grok in that deep-down-in-your-soul
way what "good coding style" is until I took time to study the wineserver.

That said, some parts of it could use a tad more explanation. The reader
will know that files are opened for clients by the wineserver due to POSIX
locking semantics ..... but not any more detail than that.

How on earth does the blocking/sync/wait infrastructure in the server
work? What is an "in flight" fd? When I started it was black magic.

It also has a bunch of comments like this:

/* initialize the structure for a newly allocated thread */
inline static void init_thread_structure( struct thread *thread )

;)

That said, I could not have written the wineserver, so my comments should
be taken for what they're worth (not much)!

thanks -mike