Shell integration idea

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Jun 3 13:08:35 CDT 2006

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:16:25 +0200, Mikolaj Zalewski wrote:
> Of course when we use COM aggregation instead of a factory pattern we
> will have all the interfaces visible under one CLSID so we will be able
> to construct a IWineTrash directly with the main object hidden behind
> the scene.

Argh, this is exactly what Alexandre meant! :)

The number of developers that understand COM aggregation and all the
baroque rules that make it up is very, very low. A simple ops struct of
function pointers as used in the wineserver or kernel would be fine here
... COM adds an awful lot of complexity that really isn't needed at all
(eg you must call CoInitialize, which means caring about apartments, which
means possibly instantiating a STA when windows wouldn't, which means pain).

thanks -mike