setupapi.dll: partially implement SetupDiGetClassDevsExA

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Fri Jun 9 09:45:37 CDT 2006

Mike McCormack wrote:

> Peter Beutner wrote:
>
>> I thought they started auditing their code and removing any "dirty"
>> parts?
>> And according to their website this process is nearly done.
>
> Unfortunately, the fallout of their audit process has been that many
> trusted developers left the project.
>
> For me, the main problem is that there are ReactOS developers who think
> that examining Windows assembly to write ReactOS code is a proper way to
> do things.
I think the problem is that the way you describe is totally legal in most countries.
In fact, afaik it is only in the USA where you have this explicit distinction between
clean("chinese wall") and "dirty" reverse engineering.
Which reminds me of a similiar thread on lkml about which country's laws actually applies
here. hmm ...

>> btw. using their code as documentation to implement something on wine
>> should be safe nevertheless, shouldn't it?
>
> I'd avoid their code if I were you.
ok, seems to be the easiest/cleanest solution ;)