DDraw: New ddraw lib

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 16:11:21 CDT 2006

On 6/11/06, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi,
> > Oops, I didn't know about the option. It's running with GDI. But just
> > replacing the DDraw library sped it up. Probably depth conversion?
> > OpenGL don't work.
> Hmm. No idea. SURFACE_GDI should be as fast as the old ddraw code, the
> rendering is the same.
>
> There is a registry key, HKLU\software\wine\direct3d\DirectDrawRenderer. It
> can be set to "gdi" to force gdi surfaces, or "opengl" to force opengl
> surfaces. If "gdi" is set, Direct3D is mutually disabled.
>
> But still it is interesting that it is faster...

The slowness is observed in the multiplayer mode with another peer,
not single player, and without your patch. With your patch, the
slowness is gone. When you have another peer, the game fires off many
udp packets to keep each other in sync. So each game packet basically
tells the peers what actions the user it performing. Once you get
packets from all the peers for each game "second" it updates the state
of the game, and probably draws the screen accordingly.

So the net code in the game while in this mode directly affects the
drawing speed. Perhaps it is something with our net code causing the
slowness, but your patch counteracts somehow, perhaps architechurely
since you really made no code changes to the GDI part.

(Note with DGA, I believe fixes the slowness too so...)

Jesse