setupapi.dll: partially implement SetupDiGetClassDevsExA

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Mon Jun 12 03:14:28 CDT 2006

* On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Mike McCormack wrote:
> * Peter Beutner wrote:
> >
> > I think the problem is that the way you describe is totally legal in
> > most countries.
> > In fact, afaik it is only in the USA where you have this explicit
> > distinction between clean("chinese wall") and "dirty" reverse
> > engineering.
>
> This is not simply a problem of what is legal and not in different
> countries.
>
> We don't want to be associated project that is perceived to be pushing
> the edge of what's legally (or even socially) acceptable.  Doing so
> would encourage FUD about Wine and that's a good way to lose developers
> and users.

Mike, and how would you describe API monitoring method of understanding
how the stuff works?  Does its use for finding misbehaved functions make
Wine look like it pushes the edge?

> Using test cases to determine the behaviour of Windows provides a way to
> verify both the code that's written today, and code that will be written
> a year later.  It's not just legally better, it's easier to do, easier
> for others to understand, and gives us a way to verify our code.

Yes, but how would you write a test for a badly implemented function, when
you don't know its name or even name of a DLL it resides in?