wine XShm problem on remote display

Benjamin Fabricius benjamin.fabricius at lawo.de
Tue Jun 13 08:46:53 CDT 2006

Hello all,

I am working on a vst (audio-plugin-)server with embedded linux.

Everything is up and running in a testing phase. Unfortunately
i am experiencing difficulties, that i think could derive from wine.

First of all my setup

vst:/opt/fst # uname -a; wine --version
Linux vst 2.6.15 #21 PREEMPT Thu Mar 30 22:11:02 CEST 2006 i686 unknown
Wine 20050725

Also i am using FreeST which is a binary in order to mount and maintain
the vst plugins.

The server runs as a x client and my development laptop as x server.
This setup works satisfactory i can display any graphical windows on my
laptop including wine loaded windows executables.

now though, when loading certain plugins on the server (x client) (these
all work fine on my local development host)
i get a weird x server fault

8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

vst:/opt/fst # ./fst /mnt/testsuite/oberon4/Oberon-8.dll
yo... lets see...
The program 'fst.exe.so' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)'.
  (Details: serial 114 error_code 10 request_code 144 minor_code 1)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

An xdpyinfo on my xserver gives me

ben at barney:~> xdpyinfo -queryExt | grep 144
    MIT-SHM  (opcode: 144, base event: 94, base error: 166)

So the MIT-SHM extension seems to be the source of the trouble.

looking into the MIT-SHM extension headers gives me the minor opcode:

ben at barney:/usr/include/X11/extensions> less XShm.h
#define X_ShmQueryVersion               0
#define X_ShmAttach                     1
#define X_ShmDetach                     2
#define X_ShmPutImage                   3
#define X_ShmGetImage                   4
#define X_ShmCreatePixmap               5

so attaching a shared memory pixmap appears to be causing the trouble.

Now I`m not sure yet if a wine or fst function is causing the trouble.
It could derive from some Gtk call...

Isn't it problematic to use the shared memory extension when
working on a remote display?

Now some google entries tell me one must have been able to disable wine
using xshm in /etc/wine.conf for example. Is this still so because i can
not find any config file allowing this in my distro. And using winecfg
didn't really deliver results either.

My handicap is my lack of profound knowledge in wine and x matters.
Maybe you guys now some work around or can imagine what could be causing
all the havoc here...

Any help would be great... thank for your time,

Cheers,
bf