Broken FC5 packages - stay clear.

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 09:19:50 CDT 2006

On 6/13/06, Andreas Bierfert <andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de> wrote:
> Hm maybe it is... but then I am no wine crack... splitting stuff up is
> something you do in packaging and what really is encouraged by distributions.
> Splitting stuff makes users happy and I can see why... ;)

First off, thank you very much for building the FC packages.  It was
something we were sorely lacking for months and it's a thankless job.
So, thanks.

I'd disagree about the 'splitting stuff makes users happy'.  As a long
time RH user and former sys admin, I hate it.  It's one of the reasons
I used to dislike Debian, although apt is very good at hiding
dependencies.  The last thing I want to do when I go to download a
piece of software is to figure out which of the 50 million packages I
need.  In the end I usually download them all and try to install them.
 It's frustrating.

As others mentioned, the tools package really needs to be included.  I
understand why you split the other stuff out, so maybe we need to do
something like this:

1.  Put wine and wine-tools together.  Call it 'wine'
2.  Not include wine-nas or wine-jack.  Aren't they both currently
broken?  For that matter, I think I heard wine-arts is as well.
3.  Combine wine-debuginfo with wine-devel and call it wine-devel.
They're both necessary for development, right?

The rest of the packages won't be necessary for 99% of users.  Can we
just tell them that in the description of the RPM?  For example, for
wine-cms:

"This package contains special color management for use with Wine by
integrating with LittleCMS.  Most users will never need to even think
of downloading this package.  If you're doing high-end graphics work
using a commercial Windows package, you might want to consider using
it."

Maybe you already do, I didn't download them and look.  So, perhaps
the package names should even reflect that.  Instead of "wine-ldap",
call it "wine-extras-ldap".  That'd probably be enough for me to
figure out what I needed.

By the way, the whole Gecko integration Jacek is doing seems like
something packagers should tackle with Wine.  It'd be nice if someone
could come up with a contained Windows Gecko package that could be
included with the basic Wine package.

-Brian