Broken FC5 packages - stay clear.

Andreas Bierfert andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de
Wed Jun 14 05:37:21 CDT 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:29:00 +0200
Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com> wrote:
> I like how it's done for git in fedora extras: git is a meta package
> which requires all subpackages making it very easy and intuitive to get
> it. So having something like wine being the meta package and the actual
> wine subpackage being renamed to wine-core would give the user
> friendliness and choice for those who need it.

Yes, meta packages are great, but seems I am one of only few people at FE who
have that opinion. If you take a look at some of my other pages you can find
koffice-suite (which installs all of koffice) or sylpheed-claws-plugins (which
installs all plugins for sylpheed-claws).

What I can offer would be this: add a meta package wine-suite which will install all wine
packages and change the summary of wine so it:
a) points to the wine-* subpackages so everyone knows they exist
b) tell them that there is the wine-suite meta package

and of course as discussed before add a Require for wine-tools to wine.

I hope that this is a solution the wine folks can live with. Remember: I do the
packaging I do in my free time and touching wine and fitting it into Fedora
Extras and upgrading it every two weeks is not the easiest thing to do and if
you don't acknowledge it fine... but it rather work together with you in a
friendly manner to improve things... not to make them worse ... and listening
to what I have to say as someone who does a lot of packaging and knows his way
around would not hurt you, would it? I do listen to your requests and if you
take a look around there are not many packagers who actually do this...

- Andreas
--
Andreas Bierfert               | http://awbsworld.de      | GPG: C58CF1CB
andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de | http://lowlatency.de     | signed/encrypted