Shell integration

Mikołaj Zalewski mikolaj at zalewski.pl
Thu Jun 15 05:50:14 CDT 2006

Robert Shearman wrote:

> I don't think it is. I think it would be better to start off with by
> just doing the shell integration in shell32. If a framework like this
> is needed, then it will become obvious later on.

  That's true that I currently don't need it but if someones would need
a really tight integration with a desktop environment he might need to
load the enviroment's libraries. By keeping things in separate DLLs we
can easly not load the libraries if the user don't use that desktop and
not build the DLL is the libraries are not present. Also there were
reports about running wine under MacOS X which, I guess, doesn't comply
to freedesktop.org. So with a separate DLL it would be easier for them
to see which code they don't need.
  But of course all that can be also done if all the code goes to
shell32. I only thought that having separate DLLs is a cleaner approach.
If it is not considered so I can change it.

Mikolaj Zalewski