Gecko installer

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Thu Jun 15 11:59:39 CDT 2006

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On 6/14/06, Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>> See http://www.winehq.org/?issue=285#MSHTML%20Update. I'd really like to
>> use Linux Gecko, but it's impossible because we'd need XEmbed embedder
>> support that's impossible to implement in Wine (perhaps if we added what
>> we need to XEmbed spec?). That's why MSHTML uses Windows Gecko.
>
> OK. What exactly *do* we need from XEmbed? Is this because we can no
> longer use child X windows?

I think Alexandre can give you the best answer. Yes, the problem is
mostly because of lack of child X windows. The main thing we'd have to
add to XEmbed spec is clipping but probably there will be more problems.
And I have no idea if freedesktop guys will accept what we need as
clipping in XEmbed spec is useless for most apps (probably everyone
except Wine).

Jacek